Sunday, December 16, 2007

Is Our Children Learning Abstinence?

.
Apparently they isn't.

It may come as a surprise to learn, that asking young men and women of a certain age, the age achieved when nature plays it's little trick of flooding said young men and women with raging hormones and the overwhelming desire to penetrate and be penetrated, that asking them not to bonk doesn't appear to work.

Not only is it not working, but due to the misinformation about birth control, disseminated by the dangerous dreamers of the abstinence only brigade, teen pregnancies are on the rise again, reversing the trend of a steady fourteen year decline.


Abstinence Programs Face Rejection

The number of states refusing federal money for "abstinence-only" sex education programs jumped sharply in the past year as evidence mounted that the approach is ineffective.

At least 14 states have either notified the federal government that they will no longer be requesting the funds or are not expected to apply, forgoing more than $15 million of the $50 million available, officials said. Virginia was the most recent state to opt out.

Two other states -- Ohio and Washington -- have applied but stipulated they would use the money for comprehensive sex education, effectively making themselves ineligible, federal officials said. While Maryland and the District are planning to continue applying for the money, other states are considering withdrawing as well.

Until this year, only four states had passed up the funding. more Wapo


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter's school still teaches only abstinence. I wrote a nice little note to her teacher explaining this was total bullshit and my daughter knew what condoms were and would be given them in place of antibiotics or an abortion later. She then brought home a packet of homework that has to be done in order for her to pass the class, to be completed with a parent. Not only are they forcing this abstinence crap down our children's throats they are trying to mitigate how parents choose to discuss the issue of sex with their children. Needless to say, they will be getting another letter from me when I send back the homework. It will be completed but it will be completed to my standards and if they don't like that they are free to question me as the parent and not flunk my daughter. I can not understand why turning a blind eye to teenage sex would be preferable to educating your children. I have always made it a point to answer my child's questions openly and honestly. She knows she can come to me with any questions and be assured she will be given truthful, reliable information. I wonder how many of her classmates will end up as teenage mothers? HH

Himself said...

Might I ask at what age your daughter is, to be having her head filled with such nonsense?

The homework thing, if unique to you and daughter, I find utterly bizarre if not down right intrusive.

Have you read this from the past (do a search on the blog for it)

Suffer The Atheist Not.
A short film from Scrotumville Oklahoma charting the persecution of a sixteen year old high school girl.


Although I think atheist might be changed to just about anything that doesn't confirm to the backward biblical standards of middle America.


I should have, as I intended, highlighted Ohio's latest response, they will take to grant but it would be used for proper sex ed, but such action would disqualify any recipient from receiving $$$.

I can't help but feel there would be some school boards that would be quite happy to carry on teaching abstinence irrespective of receiving government money.

Would perchance your particular school fall into such a category?

Anonymous said...

She is in the 6th grade, middle school. And yes this town will teach abstinence till their tongues fall out. This is a very repressed litte town. The people in this town are racist, sexist, and any other "ist" you can think of. In fact it was not until 1998 that a black student graduated from the school here. Have ethnic friends who will not come to my town, they drive around it...seriously! They have so many outdated beliefs concerning so many different groups. I do not think this will change any time soon. I try to be the reasonable voice whenever I can, I'm not afraid to speak my mind. Often just a well asked question is enough to get them to think, sometimes even show a bit of contrition.

Got off the subject, sorry. Anyway, no I do not see the members of this community embrassing such a notion as comprehensive sex education. If anything, they will rebel and begin to hold weekly chastity balls. It is a bit of a culture shock to go to one of the larger cities (in a good way) and see people being people without fear of what others will do or say. HH

Himself said...

All in all H it sounds pretty bloody awful.

Sixth grade, what would that be ten years old or so?

Having a spot of bother getting email notification of comments and regular mail, the Atlanta Journal keeps sending hundreds of the same email. I've cancelled my subscription, will have to see if thy stop.