Sunday, February 26, 2012

It's a Funny Old World or There's No Taste Like Bad Taste

I was watching Baltasar Kormákur's movie The Sea last night, a film set in Iceland.

Now I know they haven't a tree in Iceland, much less one to burn. Even so I found this one scene so utterly bizarre, we'll leave the matter of taste out of it, but as the couple sit down, yer man switches on the television, pre-set obviously, and up pops a blazing log fire.




Some fine character acting all round, not least from minor player Herdís Þorvaldsdóttir who played the granny. (See acclaim link)

The film won quite a lot of critical acclaim around the world, but didn't do too well in the States.

You will never get those Yankies to watch a movie with sub-titles.

I think this was number four in Icelandic films that I have watched, all totally different, but all very watchable. Wish I could say the same for those produced in the Baltic States, totally dreary, drawn out and barely comprehensible. No more of those.

No comments: