Sunday, March 25, 2012

Costa Concordia Good News Fuel Removal Completed

Costa Concordia: Work to remove fuel completed
24 March 2012

Work to remove fuel from the wreck of the Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia has been completed, the Italian authorities announced.

More than 2,000 tonnes of fuel and sewage were drained from the ship which capsized after hitting rocks off the Tuscan island of Giglio on 13 January.

There had been fears that pristine waters in the area might be polluted.

Thirty people died in the disaster and a further two remain missing, presumed dead.

The ship was carrying 4,200 passengers and crew when its hull was torn open by rocks.

Captain Francesco Schettino faces charges of causing the incident by steering the Costa Concordia too close to the island's shore, charges he denies.

The next stage of the salvage operation will involve cleaning up the sea bed and the area around the ship's hull before work begins to lift the wreck.

The removal of the Costa Concordia itself is expected to take up to a year. BBC


Anonymous said...

Himself said...

I think we are seeing the process called "Twats getting theirs" deservedly.

Just let me look for something.

The owners of the British luxury liner P&O Cruises have sacked 150 Indian waiters for protesting wages as low as 75 pence per hour – eight times below the national minimum.

Nuff said?

Anonymous said...

Wrecked cruise-ship captain to head to court.

Himself said...

Interesting clip. I'm zombyfied this morning, took a sleeper last night.

And I have to take Mama out today, not in the mood.