Thursday, May 17, 2007

Memri TV. A Cautionary Tale

Given that most everybody in this world is agenda driven by one thing or another, this should not come as a surprise to me. In all truth, and though I link quite often to their clips, I have not given much thought to who actually runs the site, lax of me I know.

I can accept that owners present articles that are slanted to show a topic in a certain light, but I kind of expect translations to have a fair degree of accuracy, I mean it's not as though I'm going to Fox for a source, is it!?


Though Memri claims to be "independent" and maintains that it does not "advocate causes or take sides", it is run by Yigal Carmon, a former colonel in Israeli military intelligence. Carmon's partner in setting up Memri was Meyrav Wurmser who in 1996 was one of the authors of the now-infamous "Clean Break" document which proposed reshaping Israel's "strategic environment" in the Middle East, starting with the overthrow of Saddam Hussein. Guardian.

No comments: