Thursday, May 31, 2007

Italian Inmates Seek Death Penalty


I know exactly where these guys are coming from, if I were looking at forty years bang up I'd be on the fast train to peace but I'd be buggered if I would give the state the satisfaction of playing out the ultimate power game, it would be of my time and place.

The first couple of sentences are from the article and the longer extract is from an article by "Roxtar" a fellow I used to interact with as commenters on another blog. He's right on the money in his article: "Death: It's not a penalty.....and I can prove it."

We want to die just once, he said, and "we are asking for our life sentence to be changed to a death sentence".
Musumeci said he was tired of dying a little bit every day.

Death: It's not a penalty.....and I can prove it. First, I approach the question from my own atheistic point of view. Death is nothing more than the permanent termination of consciousness. Once one's consciousness has been terminated, there can be no punishment, no joy, no amusement, no irritation, no nothing. By this reasoning, the death "penalty" is actually an end to the awareness that one is being punished, or, in other words, the premature end of punishment. If Mr. Killer is jailed on Tuesday and executed on Wednesday, he's only been punished for one day, after which his consciousness is humanely and mercifully extinguished. That doesn't strike me as particularly penal. I suspect that most people, when presented with a hypothetical choice between 40 years in a penitentiary and a swift, painless demise, would at least give serious consideration to the "easy way out", with emphasis on the word easy more



If there any among you that have watched the likes of "America's Hardest Prisons" then you don't need me to tell you what just a day must be like locked down in the SHU (secure housing unit) and having been witness to the horrors of such places it's beyond my comprehension of what it must be like to be facing decades of such soul destroying misery.

If the penal System is of interest to you I shall post various links sans comment. The first link has a mutitude of other links.

Link Link Link Link Link Link

No comments: