Friday, March 23, 2007

US In Iraq: What Went Wrong?

Since the invasion of Iraq four years ago, some 134 British troops and more than 3,200 US service personnel have been killed. It is harder to quantify the number of Iraqi deaths, estimates range from 60,000 to more than 600,000. One thing is certain; the cost in human life of the conflict has been huge. And the killing goes on.

But given this was not a snap conflict and had been planned for months, some say years, how did things go so wrong? To find out our diplomatic editor Mark Urban spoke to some of the senior US military figures who were charged with putting Iraq back together after the invasion.
You can watch his film by clicking here

I can't opine on the film (29 mins) I am having problems streaming a lot of stuff at the moment, but given that it is "Newsnight" it should be the business.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not truly expect anything more from a man with an IQ lower than my bra size. It amazes me that so many Americans expected great things from a man who can not string together more than three words. HH

Himself said...

Hello H, I'm just in, and it's destroyed that I am, too early to go out sky diving.
I haven't watched the video, I think I need to adjust my settings but don't know what. "My man" for the computer has the attributes of a greased porker.

Anonymous said...

HA! Sounds like you had a rough day. HH

Himself said...

Too much too soon H, but hoping for a slow recovery now the meds are sorted out.
Hard to come to terms with for a man that's been made of cast iron all his life, but I will get there.
Thanks.
I managed to watch the vid, one word for it, starts with cluster.

Here's a link for you,it's a nice bit of listening, something for a quiet moment or two. Might I suggest you start with the tribute before going on to the first letter. The late Alistair Cooke.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/letter_from_america/default.stm
I don't think it will fit on the page, go to the home page and search Alistair Cooke Letter from America
http://www.bbc.co.uk/

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link, I will check it out. HH